Sunday, May 6, 2012

My Tribute To Adam Yauch

Every generation adds something to the music world. Whether their parents understand it or not they do. For my generation it was rap and the alternative scene. The pioneers like Grand Master Flash, Run DMC, Pearl Jam, and Nirvana are bands and groups who will always be remembered. I remember my cousin Brian detesting the group the Beastie Boys above all others. But from You Gotta Fight For Your Right to Party, to the groundbreaking Sabatoge video which played out like an 1970's police procedural on acid they were Hall of Famers in their own right. And sadly, a few days ago, one of the founding members of the Beastie Boys, Adam Yauch lost his battle with Cancer. I'm not sure what kind of Cancer but to my mind it doesn't matter. It's a tragic loss.

It's always sad when someone from the creative world dies. But the Beastie Boys were politically aware of international issues and often had the courage to speak out on them. I know, there is some opinion that artists should keep their political opinions to themselves, especially when it's not beneficial or popular to their career to do so. But I disagree. I think it's our differences and our ability to co-exist despite them that make our country such a great place to live. Adam believed in peace. And right now it seems like hate and fear are the buzzwords right now.

In my state I am ashamed to say the KKK marched in our state capital. The hate and fear in their hearts saddens me. And as much as I believe in freedom of speech I think of them more as a terrorist organization than as a political group.

Adam would have something to say about the KKK. As I said he was politically aware. When politicians use one group's fear and resentment against another to further their own agenda they should be forced to give up their campaign. But I suppose the day that happens is the day Adam rises up and returns from the dead all Lazarus or Jesus like.

The world of hip hop has endured many a great loss, Grand Master Jay immediately comes to mind as he was a pioneer and well beloved, add Adam Yauch to the list. He will be missed.

No comments: