Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Cowboys & Aliens Oh My!

As I once mentioned in my other life I am an indie filmmaker. Which means I am not only captivated by books, but movies as well. I love the intimacy a small film affords, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate a good blockbuster. Titanic? Gladiator? The Last of the Mohicans? Awesome movies all.

Let's look at the movie I can't wait to see this summer. COWBOYS & ALIENS. Now while I don't read comic books, okay, graphic novels, I never saw the point in the name change I respect a good story no matter what format you're telling it in, this premise intrigued me. A man with no memory. A nasty lawman. The wild wild west. Good potential already. Add superstars Daniel Craig and Harrison Ford, add a huge twist with aliens and ufos and viola you have potential summer movie gold. And with Jon Favreau directing there's out of this world excitement surrounding this picture.

Once upon a time I was in love with Harrison Ford. Now my fickle heart beats for Daniel Craig lol. But I love great acting and perfect casting and if the preview is ANY indication as to the excitement level we can expect then I think we're all in for a real treat.

When I told my writing partner I wanted to see Daniel Craig's next movie and that it was a Sci-Fi Western she said drily, "That's because when I hear Sci-fi and Western it screams Missy go see it." She'll go see it because Daniel's in it for my sake but upon seeing the preview she said, "Could be interesting." Which when it comes to Science Fiction means I'll keep an open mind from Missy.

The amazing thing is, it's inspired a character clamoring to break free, a half human, half alien resistance fighter in a science fiction erotica or romance. I'm not too sure which it's going to be.

Until next time follow the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH7KZD5vGBY

3 comments:

Lin said...

Kat and I cannot see movies at the theaters any more but that looks like one we will want to see when it comes out on DVD. thanks for sharing.

Jim Hartley said...

Reminds me of a flash-fiction piece I did a while back where an author was trying to mix genres. I just invented some titles, only I mixed a Western with Fantasy and called it "Gunfight at the Orc Corral."

LJ said...

I can't wait to see this movie. I'm so hungry to see this film. I love the concept and actors. The premise of Sci Fi and western isn't new. Think Firefly and Avatar. :)