Wednesday, March 9, 2011

When Disaster Strikes...or When Your Computer Dies

Last night I was feeling blessed. I had spoken with a person who could make things happen on my book trailer. I got to bond with Karen Cote over on MuseItUp, (you should check out her 'Rock' Books Rock Bound and Rock Crazy), and I had finally made a breakthrough on my second book in the Lost Legacies Series.  And the icing on the cake, last week I landed my first publication contract with MuseItUp Publishing (http://museituppublishing.com/, writers and readers should really check them out. They are AWESOME and not just because they offered me a contract either ;) Then, poof my computer dies. The one time I don't back up my story and poof. The amazing thing is I'm not sweating it. Numb was only nine pages long.

I have all the images for the book trailer I want saved. I can get my avatars from Elise (a great friend, writer, and graphics designer) and I have the video Missy made her father last year for his birthday and my Another Way To Die backed up to my zip drive. So things could be a heck of a lot worse.

When I think of hard I think of when my screenwriting partner and I lived in San Antonio, didn't anything to write with, could barely make rent,  I was experiencing the first of two emotional breakdowns due to a Bipolar diagnosis and were living off of fifteen dollars worth of groceries a week.

I'm operating from my Dad's laptop temporarily and I'm trying to figure out how Mom and I can work together to either get an old desktop out of safe mode or purchase a refurbished one from Goodwins in Louisville.

All is not lost. I'm alive. I have air in my lungs. I have a roof over my head. I have food on the table and Another Way To Die is safely backed up. One day at a time I'll be fine. As for those nine pages of Numb? The story is still there and if I did it once I can do it again. Anyone else here have a story of woe to share or advice to give leave the advice here. I'd love hear it.

3 comments:

Roseanne Dowell said...

Yikes, what an awful thing to happen. I use dropbox and all my files go in there. Everytime I add to the file, it automatically saves the changes when I close the program (after I hit save, of course). If my computer crashes, my files are safely stored and I can access them anytime from anywhere. Glad it was only nine pages, but I've been there and you can never recapture all those words no matter how you try.

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed that you're handling disaster so calmly! Like Roseanne, I use dropbox, and it's saved me a couple of times.

Right now my laptop (a hand-me-down from my Dad) has started giving me electric shocks. Might be time to make sure everything's backed up properly...

Unknown said...

Do so, that was the first sign that my computer was about to go down the drain lol. Oh, I have you on my website now to link to your blogs :)