Monday, February 6, 2012

Romance On the Run

I've written several books for publication. Four of them to be exact and three of them feature one similar element. Whether it's fantasy, science fiction, or suspense GLADIATOR, No Ordinary Love, and Another Way To Die feature people on the run and falling in love.

I suppose I like a little action in my story too. The most restrained and subtle of my writing is Set Fire To The Rain features something else I like, angst. And lots of it. If the themes I didn't work in were so violent and in other cases so sensual then I could probably write YA. But I'm not a kid, and I don't think like a kid. I tend to write about grown ups doing very grown up things and sometimes people are offended by that.

It used to bother me since it's the readers favor that I curry. But you can't be all things to all people. And sometimes people just aren't going to like what you have to offer. Hard pill to swallow. But swallow it I did.

But I tend to like an element of danger in my stories, whether it's emotional, physical, or mental I like the heart stopping will they be okay element that keeps me glued to my seat when watching a movie or a television show or reading a book. And the more the danger, the more wild the action, the more angsty and forbidden nature of the relationship the better.

I like it whether I'm writing or directing too. People say abuse is sensationalized by the media, and to some degree, in the wrong hands it always is. But folks, here's the reality. 1 in 3 girls have been abused by the time they are grown and it's 1 in 4 boys. That's an epidemic and if reading about that makes you uncomfortable and ill at ease it should. These things need to be brought out into the open. I write about these things not because it's the trend or popular to do so, but because I have first hand experience with it. So I could no more NOT write about it than I could NOT breathe.

So maybe what I write is polarizing. It's just something I'll have to live with. Love yall'.

No comments: