Saturday, June 16, 2012

Violence In Stories

This is an open letter to those in the publishing industry who are squeamish about the use rape of abuse in the stories they publish. Especially the romance industry. Let me say this first, I do not enjoy rape as titilation. I do not enjoy rape stories with a safe word. None of that does anything for me. But there is one adage, write what you know. And what I know from experience is that men can be sexually violent and that there is nothing attractive about it. And when I write about it that's how I portray it.

I know this makes people uncomfortable. Good. Those types histories or scenes aren't supposed to be easy for the reader. What I want to know is why in a publishing world online which is revolutionizes the industry are people so hell bent on allowing these type of stories to go by the wayside. Too many times I have seen the words NO VIOLENCE. I also write dark romantic suspense. That may not include sexual violence but violence in a gritty world could be included.

I write post apocalyptic literature as well. Chaos and anarchy would be included. I'm not saying blow up someone for the sake of blowing up someone or to shoot them just to shoot them either. What I'm saying is that there's room enough for all kinds of stories and frustrating to feel as if your voice is being stifled for that reason.

Now, that being said I have found fabulous homes for my work. MuseItUp Publishing and Hydra Publications have been nothing but gracious and welcoming to me. These two places have made my publishing dreams come true. Hopefully there will be more to come.

Keep an eye out, the winner of the Muse Gift Certificate will be announced soon! 

1 comment:

Suzanne de Montigny said...

And yet movies are fuuuulllll of violence. So what's the difference? You tell me. I had a story refused by two agents because they felt it was too dark, but have, as well, found a home with the Muse. The survival of the fittest requires creatures to die. Even in Charlette's Web, the young pig was threatened with violence. Yet, it created a magical story.
Suzanne de Montigny