Monday, July 4, 2011

CampNaNoWriMo: Day #4

I'm home from my stay at Nolin Lake and ready to...rest. Long car rides do that to me. That and an altered sleep cycle I tend to sleep all day and write all night. I wonder if I can have any caffeine because of the Abilify I'm on. I try to sleep at midnight or one o'clock in the morning and I'm up till three then awake at four thirty. Ahhh! Not exactly condusive to a healthy balance void of crash landings. I have to say, I'm happier now than I've been in a long time and the anxiety is at bay thanks to the new medication I'm on.

Which brings me to this, as tired as I am I'm ready for day four of CampNaNoWriMo. This is really my first bit of writing on the day and I find when I'm doing it everything else goes much, much smoother. 50,000 words seems so far away for me. I haven't climbed that mountain in over a year and that triumph was whittled down to a short three part novella. However, that piece is to be published in January and a short that I wrote in April is in need of revision before I get a contract and a Sci-fi erotica piece is settled to be published in October.

6800 words into CampNaNoWriMo life is good. I'm anxious as always but I think every writer has a bit of that. Some more so than others. I love the Office of Letters and Light and everything that they do. Sure they push hard on the fundraising which can be really annoying at times. But that's why it's free for people like me who can't afford say, RWA contests, and the prizes and peptalks are great fun. And for those who poo-poo NaNo (and I don't know many who do) I'd like to point to Sara Gruen's Water for Elephants fantastic success.

CampNaNoWriMo capitalizes on NaNo's greatest strengths and takes away one of November's biggest excuses. It's childlike abandon for fun and the fact it's in the middle of Summer Vacation for many who participate. So I encourage you to sign up in July, or August when they'll be running a second camp with an expanded set up.

In order for this to be free for many someone has to show faith and pay it forward. If you have a dollar checkout my sidebar where you can find Support CampNaNoWriMo. I get none of this money. I'm not bragging about NaNo for any other purpose than because I believe in what it does and what it supports. I hope you'll take the time to take a look at it too.

http://campnanowrimo.org/

No comments: