Wednesday, April 6, 2011

E-Publishing and E-Marketing

There is a lot of discussion as to what is going on in the publishing world and what makes a 'real' book and what constitutes marketing. Words like epub and social networking float around as much as Big 6 these days and if th Big 6 don't get with it they'll go the way of the dinosaur faster than say a current format of Facebook.

There are a ton of e-pubs out there and there are a ton of organizations in the writing world telling you print is the only legitimate form of publication. DON'T YOU DARE LISTEN TO THEM!

The fact is both forms are completely legitimate. But I've decided to take the electronic route with MuseItUp Publishing. And I love it. I may get an agent in the meantime but I couldn't ask for a better publisher period. The place is like family and is urber supportive. I suppose it is easy when everyone is playing on an even field, but coming from a filmmaking background I know that just because you're one of the 'boys' doesn't mean you're going to be treated that way.

Some other organizations you might want to checkout too are Savvy Authors and EPIC, EPIC is the Electronic Publishing Industry Coalition. Savvy Authors is an online writing group which offers workshops, chats, and conferences throughout the year. EPIC is $30 a year as is Savvy but they're invaluable with the tools they provide.

How do I promote an e-book? Honestly you have to start your platform from day one. You're selling yourself, and if you don't get out there and do it no one else will. You're platform is who you are. I'm a writer and indie filmmaker who gets angsty and passionate when people don't listen to her lol.

Bare minimum (and I'm quoting Christine Bell on this) is email loops, a website, twitter, facebook, and a blog. I've always had trouble mastering this. But I finally opened up my ears and started listening. Lea Schizas recommends one hour a day or one day a week on the self promotion.

There you have it folks. Take it for what it is. I hope this is helpful. Until next time you can reach me at on Twitter @AmyLMcCorkle, Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Amy-McCorkle/173811662670780 on my website http://amylmccorklekentuckyauthor.webs.com/ and here of course. Happy scribbles.

6 comments:

Karen Jones Gowen said...

Totally agreed. My publisher is big on print and just learning the ebooks. They had to relearn everything and it's taking forever. But the business model is to release a title in both print and ebook format. Right on with the promotion too. Good advice! And good luck with your book!

J.Q. Rose said...

Okay--I decided today I would only spend one hour promoting my e-book, Sunshine Boulevard. That was 3 hours ago. I always end up clicking on everybody's blogs, reading, commenting, etc. An hour is just not enough every day. And to do it just one day a week, well, you know how chatty the Muse loops are...it would take a year to catch up on just the week's posts there. I'm glad they are a friendly busy group, but it's hard to keep up. Enjoyed your post here. Thanks for sharing.

Terry Odell said...

My first publishers were e first, print second. My next is hard cover only. I'm taking my back list and getting them up as e-books where I get to see a bit more of the money.

BUT - marketing is tough, and you have to take that into account when you consider going the digital route on your own. You don't have the "staff" of the publisher. Right now, I'm working with a cover artist for the re-release of one of my books. And an editor for the release of a book that hasn't been through the "traditional" publishing process.

(Anyone who tells you you don't need a professional editor is wrong, wrong, wrong. I've published 6 books with traditional publishers, and my writing is clean, but no author can do a decent job editing her own work)

Terry
Terry's Place
Romance with a Twist--of Mystery

Shelley Munro said...

Marketing is tough and it's a good idea to do several promo things each day. I think it's a good idea to be organized when it comes to promo. A clear plan definitely helps.

Anonymous said...

Nicely said, Amy. I'm still getting myself around the FB page - had a difficult experience a few years ago, the first time around, so hesitate. I know what a benefit it will be though. May I also suggest LinkedIn and She Writes as a couple more avenues for networking and gaining a platform.

Shannon Lawrence said...

Great information for a hopeful writer. What I'm hearing in writing circles is that you really have to self-promote no matter how you get published, unless maybe you've gotten in with one of the Big publishing houses. I'm trying to gobble up all the learning I possibly can, in the meantime.

Good luck on the A to Z Challenge!