Wednesday, April 13, 2011

K is for Killer & Karen's Chaise Lounge

Assassin. Mercenary. Hitman. Killers all, in some shape or fashion but in romantic suspense or suspense in general they are studies in motivation and characters which present themselves as rich with possibilities as to what drives them to do the things they do. Can they be redeemed by the love of a good woman. Are they drinkers? Womanizers? Do they smoke? Are they religious?

I like these kinds of characters on the page. Having faced demons hiding behind a badge or a uniform I know for a fact not all of them are good guys.

So Another Way To Die was born out of my infatuation with the idea that a thug could be turned good under the right circumstances. And the right circumstances was his past reaching out to force him in the form of Almira Sands and her determination to love him no matter what he was, no matter what he'd done and no matter what he would do in the future.

In order to create a hero deserving of that he had to do something out of character straight off the bat, the killer would have to save her life even if it meant risking his own skin to do it.

Daniel Logan was my kind of hero. And now I'm facing book 2 of their journey and deciding on a great deal of things. Do one of them die? Whose point of view should it be from? Just to what links will they go to to be in one another's arms? Oh and I'm adapting book 1 to screenplay for production!

I am at Karen Chaise's Lounge all week discussing Another Way To Die and where I'll be over the coming months. Come join me and Karen!

http://KarenCote.tv/Amy

2 comments:

SJ Clarke said...

Great post Amy. We have a lot in common. I have a character in my series that deserves his own story, one where his past comes back to bite him. I don't understand the draw, but I know I'm not the only reader or writer out there who loves this kind of character.

Your books are on my TBR list, but this post might have moved them up in line:o) I'll call it research.
Sandra

Jeff Beesler said...

Outstanding post. Redemption is a great human trait and I think a good catalyst for writing a story. We all want redemption over something at some point in our lives. Redemptive heroes help readers find the courage to seek it out.

Pleased to meet you from the A-Z Challenge!