Thursday, April 7, 2011

F is for Fandom

Fandom is often I a phrase I hear relegated to speculative fiction, sci-fi, or fantasy whatever medium you find it in. Actually the first time I heard of it was when I started watching Highlander: The Series. Mmmm Duncan McLeod and Methos. What can I say I have a soft spot for those hunky immortals. And was a part of the -Files fandom before I ever knew what the words meant. More recently it's been Lost. Oh I how I miss that  show.

There were a great many mysteries about the island, but the show was never about any mystery except that of the human heart. What was good versus what was truly evil. And how these people deeply affected one another's lives.

Everything about this show was spot on. The acting, the music, the directing, and most importantly the writing. Everyone had a mission and it created lightning in a bottle. Lost was a cult show that went mainstream and was often over looked at awards time. Re: Terry O'Quinn and everyone else who finally got a nomination during the last season you were ALL ROBBED.

The show was watercooler conversation. And while everyone had their favorites. Jack, Sawyer, Jen and Kate. My favorites were the more troubled of souls Sayid and Claire. Sayid warred within himself throughout the whole of the series and finally re: spoilers dead ahead sacrificed himself so that the others might live. The beautiful reunion of Jen and Sun only to have them die in one another's arms was tragically beautiful. Kate killing the Man In Black was awesome. And Hugo aka Hurley always brought them together and it was perfect how he was put in charge of the island, and Ben's redemption to become Hurley's number 2 man was perfect as well. The best was when Jack is reunited with his father and the forgive one another in death. I bawled like a baby. This show was terrific from start to finish.

There were people who loved the show who hated the finale because they didn't get all the 'answers' to the mysteries of the show. If you had gotten the answers and there were just so many of them it would have ruined the emotional impact of the spiritual journey which is what the show was about. The JOURNEY.

So whenever you sit down to write that first draft of your book, your screenplay, your poem, your graphic novel, remember it's about the journey that first time around. You can make it about the destination later.

2 comments:

C. Zampa said...

I never got to see any of LOST, but I DO so remember The Highlander...oh, my, I loved that show!

And I learned something today. I just figured 'fandom' meant one's fans. LOL...So this was very interesting to me!

I enjoyed your blog!

Monica said...

Interesting word, I've heard it before but never in this context. Thanks for the education! Found you from the A-Z Challenge, so far it’s been a lot of fun, with maybe with a little bit of stress thrown in!! I’m now following you on GFC and I hope you have a chance to check out my blog!
Monica
http://oldermommystillyummy.blogspot.com/