Thursday, January 26, 2012

What's Your Standard For Success?

It's been said it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert in any given field, and while I'm not an expert by any means I have paid my dues and it seems like good things are happening to me. And yeah I want to celebrate I want to shout it from the rooftops and I don't like feeling like I have to either justify myself or apologize for my success.

There are some snark monsters out there that would see me feel bad that I am successful or that perhaps e-books aren't real books. I wish I had a magic bullet which would strike both of these douches right between the eyes and make me feel better all at the same time.

There isn't any such magic bullet. But here's what I can do. In the last year I've set up a successful blog, signed 4 contracts and have had two of those books published. With a third slated for a release late summer/early fall.

Through social networking I've made some valuable contacts and even some good friends. 

The icing on the cake is having placed 2nd in the Short Story Romance category from Preditors & Editors and finishing tied for 10th for Best Author.

Then I'm so busy with the promoting either online or in person that it's hard to remember there's more writing to be done. Today I've been blue. Kind of like the bottom dropping out of the barrel after too much has been placed in it. Or feeling a little toasty and burned. 

As I've mentioned on my blog before I suffer from bipolar disorder, but life is what you make of it. It rained all day here today. I had to go out in this mess and run off the vouchers for my signing. Shoe got soaking wet. Got into a fight with my friend. And dinner was totally ruined, I couldn't even enjoy the meal I had prepared. 

But a little Jersday goes a long way. Now I just have anxiety about writing on the book I was working on, Bounty Hunter. It's the book I'm working on for my February 50K Blowout Challenge which I encourage you all to checkout http://February50KBlowoutChallenge.blogspot.com.

No comments: