Sunday, January 29, 2012

A Writer's Empty Cabinet

Yes I have eggs. Yes I have cheese. And yes I have a rogue package of chili flavored ramen noodles scooting around in my cabinet but I don't have much else.

Yesterday was supposed to be grocery day. Then this morning. And now I'm bouncing on shit and quick as nothing I could be back in the gutter again.

I'm sure many of you know this feeling. The royalties aren't exactly rolling in just yet and when they do come in I'm sure I'll be lucky to see a check for ten or fifteen dollars. But when the cable/internet bill came in early and the choice had to be made, eat or stay online, well, I shaved my grocery bill by about 20 or 30 dollars so that I could still function as a writer.

I'm e-published and broke, so the only way I can really reach my readers or potential audience is through the world wide web. So I go without you support my career. I know crazy right? But sometimes you have to make sacrifices to get what you want out of life. And I want to available to my readers. So I eat a little more chicken noodle soup and grilled cheese if I have to, or maybe just the soup when things are really tight like now.

When you are tight on cash you have to decide what it is you really want and need.  Do you really need that cool I-Phone with the outrageous price tag? Or can you use a more basic phone to get the work done that you want to get done.

I'll be the first to admit I'm the first one to flood the timeline with promo for my books. I can't help it. I like socializing with friends on FB. Tweeting on Twitter and using my blog to reach people. But when it comes down to it I have bills to pay, groceries to buy and a pet to care for. I have birthdays to buy for. I'm like anyone else.

Now, that's not a cry to buy my book. Although I'm like any writer, as solitary an act as writing is, it's not done until a reader reads it and tells me about it.

No Ordinary Love is available to your right as is my newest release Another Way To Die. And even though my cabinet may be empty my cup is full. I would love to see my books continue to sell. And for my future books to capitalize on the traction I have gained.

No comments: